Since the introduction of for iPhone with video calling on New Year's Eve 2010, we've seen growing demand for a Skype app for the iPad.
The wait is over, as today we launched Skype for iPad now available for download in the iTunes App Store.
Skype for iPad is beautifully designed and optimized for the iPad. It offers the best of both worlds for users who want a larger Skype experience, on-the-go. The large iPad screen is perfect for bringing Skype video calls to life, in either landscape or portrait view, and because it is on the iPad, Skype video calls can be made at the beach, in a car or even lying on a couch.
Not only does Skype for iPad feature an interface that takes advantage of the large screen, but there are a number of additional iPad-optimized features found in this new app, including:
- Two-way video calling. With Skype video calling available on iPhones, as well as in Skype for Android, Skype for Mac, Skype for Windows, Skype on HDTVs and more - you can connect to over 170 million Skype connected users worldwide.
- Instant messaging. You can even instant message during a video call on your iPad, with emoticons to personalize your message.
- Simple to view contacts. Contacts are now displayed in a grid on Skype for iPad, showing large avatar photos - making it easy to find your contacts and conversations.
- Easy navigation. Find your recent Skype conversations and history at the touch of a button making searching simple.
- Simple SMS texting. An SMS text message can be sent by simply opening a contact and selecting SEND SMS or by opening the dial pad, typing in the number you wish to SMS and then typing your message.
The new Skype for iPad app also takes full advantage of the iPad 2's dual cameras, allowing users to talk face-to-face with the iPad's front camera or switch to the rear camera to show what they can see. Skype for iPad also allows users to call landlines and mobiles using Skype's great low rates - all a user needs is a little Skype Credit. Skype for iPad works across both 3G and Wi-Fi networks and also allows users to make voice and video calls across platforms from their iPad to other Skype users on iPhones, Mac, Windows, HDTVs and more.