The Illinois Institute of Technology announces that its Sixth annual VoIP Conference and Expo
will take place October 12-14, 2010 in Chicago. This conference, where industry and academia meet, brings together technical professionals and executives from the data and telecommunications industry, standards bodies, government agencies, as well as the business community. The presentations, exhibits, social events, and session breaks provide opportunities to discover different aspects of this rapidly evolving field.
"The overall theme of the conference is 'Where Industry Meets Academia,'" said Carol Davids, Alva C. Todd Professor of Information Technology and Management, Director, IIT SAT Voice over IP Laboratory. "Many conferences strive to bring senior level technology and business leaders together in one place but fall short of that goal. The IIT VoIP conference does just that. A full 80% of the attendees are typically senior business and technical executives from industry, representing both large multi-national companies as well as small start-ups in the space."
Conference Highlights include:
- Jeffrey Scott Cohen, Sr. Legal Counsel with the FCC's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau will present on "Policy and Technology: The FCC's goals for Broadband Technology, 911 Alerting and Cyber Security"
- Christopher Mayer, Vice-President, Systems Integration and Testing, Verizon Communications will chair a panel session on "Carriers View of VoIP and the Future"
- Eric Burger, Georgetown University will address "Interoperability - We Can Achieve It - IETF Can Help" in a Keynote discussion.
- Henning Schulzrinne, Professor in the Dept. of Computer Science and the Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Columbia University and co-author of numerous IETF RFCs, including SIP will speak on the smart-grid theme, "Connecting VoIP and Location with the Physical World."
- Richard Shockey, Chairman of the Board of the SIPForum, will chair a panel entitled, "The V in VoIP is Video," examining the implications of recent explosion of products and services that allow us to stream video as part of our daily lives. Visit the SIP Tutorial tab on the conference website.
- Henry Sinnreich and Alan Johnston, Industry consultants and authors will lead a full-day optional SIP Tutorial on October 12, and will also discuss in the main Conference, "How will VoIP reincarnate in the Web and Cloud worlds?"
Planned topics for the sessions include:
- Voice over IP over Anything
- Unified Communications
- Voice over HTTP over IP - Voice over Web
- Voices from Beyond the Internet
- Mobility and VoIP
- Protocols, Architectures & Infrastructure
- Operations Test & Measurement
- Emergency Services
- Cloud Telephony
- Smart Grid
- Voice on the Web
- Security And VoIP Networks, and